Elements: The elements of Vata Dosha are Air and Ether. If you’re looking for a visual, check out the photo of the blue sky.
Function: The main function of Vata in the body is movement. Vata influences the nervous system and all movement in the body including peristalsis, elimination, circulation, respiration, birthing, and expressions of emotions.
Qualities: The qualities of Vata are light, cold, dry, rough, mobile/erratic, clear and subtle.
Time of Day: Vata qualities present strongest each day during the hours of 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. and then again between 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.
Season: Vata qualities present themselves most in late fall through early winter (in the Northern Hemisphere).
Body type: People with a dominant Vata Dosha tend to be small framed, thin and light.
Signs your Vata is Out of Balance and Causing Health Problems
- Poor circulation
- Stiff muscles and joints
- Cramps and spasms
- Fear, anxiety, worry and scattered thoughts
- Lowered immunity
- Mood fluctuations
- Low stamina and energy
- Cold extremities
- Dry skin
Tips to balance Vata
- Routine is key for balancing Vata! Develop and maintain a daily routine that you can follow around sleep times and meal times.
- Practice relaxation and mindfulness activities that are grounding. These can include yoga, meditation, deep breathing, walking and warm oil massage.
- Dress warmly and avoid getting cold. That means layer up!
- Warm cooked foods are your friends. Avoid salads, cold foods and cold drinks as much as possible.
- Use digestive spices such as ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and turmeric in teas and cooking.
- Your exercise should be steady and consistent.
Signs Your Vata is Balanced
- You eliminate once per day and rarely skip days.
- Your energy is steady (instead of big bursts followed by crashes).
- Your mind is creative, joyful and enthusiastic.
- You can follow a routine that benefits your health and feel the benefits of consistency.
- Strong immunity.
- Reduced pain and inflammation in the body.
- Your mood is steady and you can recover more easily from fear and anxiety.
- Your hands and feet experience better circulation.
Do you want to learn more about how you can tailor your diet and lifestyle to help you bring your Vata into balance, and feel great? Here are some options:
Check out my one-on-one, tailored for you health coaching. I offer 90 days, 6 months and 1 year programs that help you become the healthiest and most vibrant YOU! CLICK HERE to learn more.
Sign up for my newsletter to receive articles and tips on how to pacify Vata throughout the year.