Are you ready to share the tranquility and challenge of floating yoga with your community?
Get certified to teach SUP yoga and spread the peace and confidence that come with practicing on the water.
- Earn your American Canoe Association Level 1 SUP Instructor Certification in addition to the SUP yoga Endorsement.
- Refine your paddling skills to build strengths, balance and efficiency.
- Increase your knowledge and confidence in safety and group management skills for teaching in the outdoors.
- Learn different anchor systems so that your students experience a quality class.
- Learn pose modifications and cues specific to teaching on boards.
SUP skills you’ll learn to teach include:
- Forward stroke
- Forward and reverse sweep
- Side draw
- Stopping in a straight line
- Low brace
- Arching turn with forward momentum
- Walking around the board
- Neutral stance
- Hybrid stance
- How to fall off your board and get back on safely
Please refer to the American Canoe Association (ACA) SUP L1 Instructor Criteria and the ACA SUP Yoga Instructor Endorsement Criteria.
The course is 4 days and we start at 8:45 a.m. and run until 5:45 p.m. every day. Come prepared to spend full days paddling, learning and practice teaching!
Risk assessment and management are part of becoming an effective instructor for taking groups out on the water. Circumstances keep changing, but as of this writing the expectations for the group to protect ourselves and each other are as follows:
- Wear your mask on land and while giving presentations on land.
- Maintain social distance when feasible (which will be most of the time).
- Wash your hands often and use hand sanitizer.
This course is for you if
- You’re currently a certified yoga teacher with minimum 200 RYT with YA
- You’re passionate about sharing your love for SUP and SUP yoga with others.
- You’re a competent SUP paddler and have been paddling for at least 1 season.
- You love to learn and are excited about learning new skills and sharing best practices.
- Professionalism and safety is important to you.
- You understand that you must meet standards in paddling skills, group management and teaching efficacy outlined in the ACA instructor criteria in order to achieve certification.
This course isn’t for you if
- You expect to achieve certification without having to improve your skills or learn anything new.
- Showing up on time and participating fully are not important to you.
- You don’t like to be coached or receive constructive feedback.
- Having to meet certain standards for skill and safety aren’t important to you, or you don’t like to be held accountable for meeting certain standards.
- You’ve only been on a SUP board a few times and haven’t developed paddling skill.
2022 dates TBA
You are responsible for ACA instructor manual, ACA and SEIC membership dues, food and lodging.
Questions? Email me!