Passionate about whitewater kayaking?
Ready to overcome your fears and become a confident and effortless paddler?
If you want instruction that goes above and beyond: ‘Just follow me’ or ‘you’ll be fine,’ or ‘you’re doing it wrong,’ then you’re in the right place.
I’m here to help you transform your kayaking into a consistent experience of power, confidence and skill.
And, I’m stoked for you to come just as you are.
What you can expect:
- Strategies for transforming fear and self-doubt into smooth lines and powerful paddling.
- Coaching that gets you unstuck and moving forward in your paddling.
- Focus on your goals in skills and mindset without the distraction of a group.
- A supportive coach (me) cheering on your successes.
- Increased paddling confidence and courage.
- Precision in refining your paddling skills using vision and effective technique.
- Personalized attention on you.
- A coach (me) who is committed to supporting you, not judging you.
- Increased river and group safety awareness.
- Fun! Did I mention fun?!
- Effective, world-class kayak instruction from Anna (that’s me)!
- Video review with Anna.
- 2 – 5 minute video of you paddling with voice-0ver instruction sent to you after the day.
- Fresh, made to order lunch (I can meet any dietary need).
- Gear – if you need any extra or want to demo a Dagger kayak.
Commonly Asked Questions
I’m a beginner, is private instruction right for me?
Yes, private instruction is appropriate for all skill levels.
Where do you do private instruction?
My go-to river for private instruction is Section 9 of the French Broad. I can also do private instruction on other rivers in the Asheville area including the Green and Big Laurel.
Do I really need professional instruction? My friends take me out all the time.
If you feel stuck in a rut, not fully supported by your peers or overwhelmed with fear/nerves, then I highly recommend private instruction. Your friends may be able to get down the river, but how do you know that their advice and technique is effective? Several of my clients have had to unlearn ineffective habits passed down to them by their friends. The sooner you invest in professional instruction, the sooner you excel in kayaking and meet your goals.
Am I worth the investment? It’s just kayaking.
Yes you are worth it and here’s why:
It’s not ‘just kayaking.’ How you approach the challenges of kayaking is how you approach challenges in other areas of your life. If you can overcome your fear and choose courage on the river, you can do it in other areas like asking for a raise, making bold requests of friends and family, and making healthier choices.
Does kayaking bring you joy? Then it’s 100% worth it. Investing in your passion is also investing in your wellbeing. When you invest in your wellbeing you invest in the wellbeing of those closest to us. If you’re feeling confident, courageous and fulfilled you’ll be in a much better position to inspire and take care of those you love most.
It’s not ‘just kayaking,’ it’s your life!
How long is a day of private instruction?
We usually meet at 9 a.m. and finish up between 4 and 5 p.m. One-on-one coaching is intensive, and I focus on quality vs quantity. Once you’re exhausted you don’t learn anything new. We paddle and practice skills until we’ve met your goals for the day or until you’re too tired to focus and learn more. We usually spend about 3 – 4 hours of solid paddle time, not including shuttle and lunch stop.
I came feeling anxious and unsure and left feeling on top of the world! It was so wonderful to have the chance to learn from Anna.” – Liz, Ottawa, Ontario
“I always learn so much and build so much confidence in Anna’s classes. Thanks for all the support.” – Allison, ID