Elements: The elements of Pitta Dosha are Fire and Water (but mostly Fire).
Function: The main function of Pitta in the body is transformation, especially through digestion.
Qualities: The qualities of Pitta are hot, sharp, light, oily, and liquid.
Time of Day: Pitta qualities present strongest each day during the hours of 1o a.m. and 2 p.m. (when the sun is hottest) and then again between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. when your brain cells rejuvenate.
Season: Pitta qualities present themselves most in summertime (in the Northern Hemisphere).
Body type: People with a dominant Pitta Dosha tend to have a medium body frame, are athletic and build muscle easily.
Signs your Pitta is Out of Balance and Causing Health Problems
- Skin irritation and breakouts
- Loose stool
- Acid reflux
Tips to balance Pitta
- Eat cooling foods and herbs such as cucumber, cilantro, coconut, aloe, dandelion, pomegranate, lavender, passionflower and bitter greens.
- Practice relaxation and meditation to cool excess Pitta in the mind and body.
- Exercise during the coolest times of day during summer season.
- Moderate alcohol, hot/spicy foods, fermented foods, salt, caffeine and sugar intake.
- Avoid staying past 10 p.m.
- Moderate intense, competitive and hot forms of exercise/exertion.
Signs Your Pitta is Balanced
- You eliminate once per day and rarely experience loose stool.
- Although you’re passionate and intense about what’s important to you, you’re able to balance that with calm and quiet time.
- Your mind is bright, discerning and focused.
- Although you’re passionate about achieving your goals, you’re able collaborate well with others without being angry all the time, and feel happy when others succeed.
- There’s little inflammation in your body.
- You may have a lot going on, but if feels manageable.
- Your body feels strong and energetic.
Do you want to learn more about how you can tailor your diet and lifestyle to help you bring your Pitta into balance, and feel great? Here are some options:
Check out my one-on-one, tailored for you health coaching. I offer 90 days, 6 months and 1 year programs that help you become the healthiest and most vibrant YOU! CLICK HERE to learn more.
Sign up for my newsletter to receive articles and tips on how to pacify Pitta throughout the year.