Elements: The elements of Kapha Dosha are Earth and Water.
Function: The main functions of Kapha in the body are structure and lubrication.
Qualities: The qualities of Kapha are heavy, cold, oily, slow, slimy, soft, static, dense and liquid.
Time of Day: Kapha qualities present strongest each day during the hours of 6 a.m. and 10 a.m. and then again between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m.
Season: Kapha qualities present themselves most in late winter and early spring (in the Northern Hemisphere).
Body type: People with a dominant Kapha Dosha tend to have large bone structure, rounder bodies and gain weight easily. Kapha types are known to have big, lustrous eyes and lustrous hair.
Signs your Kapha is Out of Balance and Causing Health Problems
- Excess mucous and congestion
- Low appetite
- Sweet cravings
- High cholesterol
- Feelings of attachment and greediness
- Aversion to change
- Brain fog
Tips to balance Kapha
- Exercise daily (vigorous exercise is good).
- Wake up early (between 5 – 6 a.m.).
- Avoid cold drinks and food.
- Drink warm water with lemon throughout the day.
- Eat warming foods with digestive spices such as ginger, cinnamon, clove, turmeric and black pepper.
- Moderate dairy, wheat, sugar, salt and snacking between meals.
- Avoid sleeping during the day and sleeping in.
- If you’re not hungry, don’t eat. Reduce snacking between meals.
Signs Your Kapha is Balanced
- You eliminate once per day.
- Although it feels challenging to wake up early, you find the motivation to do it and feel good that you did.
- Your stamina is very good and you are resilient.
- You move slowly, but with intention.
- You’re patient and caring.
- You’re grounded and calm.
- You’ve found a weight that feels good for your frame.
- You have some discipline around sugar cravings.
- Although exercise isn’t your favorite, you have the motivation to do it and you’re glad you did.
Do you want to learn more about how you can tailor your diet and lifestyle to help you bring your Kapha into balance, and feel great? Here are some options:
Check out my one-on-one, tailored for you health coaching. I offer 90 days, 6 months and 1 year programs that help you become the healthiest and most vibrant YOU! CLICK HERE to learn more.
Sign up for my newsletter to receive articles and tips on how to pacify Kapha throughout the year.