“I appreciate your very expert eye, standards of excellence, and the ability to provide specific and actionable feedback. The nurturing of the group’s dynamics, attention to equity and inclusion, and your willingness to apply life learning principles as an integral part of the curriculum are much appreciated.” – Kim Schrader, IA
You love paddling, now learn to effectively share your passion with others, and earn income doing what you love!
In Anna’s American Canoe Association SUP Instructor Certification Courses you’ll learn the following:
- How to paddle with effective technique to get the most out of your water time.
- How to break down paddle strokes into simple steps that new paddlers can understand.
- How to teach and refine walking around the board.
- How to teach and refine SUP maneuvers.
- Safety protocol and group management for leading groups out on the water.
- Rescue and towing techniques.
- Technical knowledge of board, paddle and gear design and materials.
- How to teach with confidence and clarity.
- How to lead with confidence and knowledge.
- How to develop a critical coach’s eye and give feedback that empowers your students.
- How to communicate effectively on and off the water.
Specific strokes and maneuvers for L1 (3 day course) include:
- Forward stroke
- Forward and reverse sweep
- Side draw
- Stopping in a straight line
- Low brace
- Arching turn with forward momentum
- Walking around the board
- Neutral stance
- Hybrid stance
- How to fall off your board and get back on safely
Specific strokes and maneuvers for L2 (4 day course) include all of L1 above +
- Nose draw
- Cross nose draw
- High brace
- Heel side cross tail low brace
- Pivot turn
- Cross step
- Combination of these strokes and moving around the board performed smoothly through buoy turns
- Canted stroke
- Sculling side draw
- Side slip
Each day of the course runs from 8:45 a.m. to approximately 5:45 p.m. with a half hour lunch break (working lunch). These courses are intensive. Be ready to spend all day each day learning, practice teaching, giving and receiving feedback and more.
Risk assessment and management are part of becoming an effective instructor for taking groups out on the water. Circumstances keep changing, but as of this writing the expectations for the group to protect ourselves and each other are as follows:
- Wear your mask on land and while giving presentations on land.
- Maintain social distance when feasible (which will be most of the time).
- Wash your hands often and use hand sanitizer.
***PLEASE NOTE: These are not a skills course! These courses are an opportunity to refine your skills and learn to teach. I request that you show up with a proficiency in the skills outlined in the ACA course curriculums for L1 and L2 and be ready to learn to teach these skills.
This course is for you if:
- You’re passionate about sharing your love for SUP with others.
- You’re a competent SUP paddler and have been paddling for at least 1 season.
- You love to learn and are excited about learning new skills and sharing best practices.
- Professionalism and safety are important to you.
- You understand that you must meet standards in paddling skills, group management and teaching efficacy outlined in the ACA instructor criteria in order to achieve certification.
This course isn’t for you if:
- You expect to achieve certification without having to improve your skills or learn anything new.
- Showing up on time and participating fully are not important to you.
- You don’t like to be coached or receive constructive feedback.
- Having to meet certain standards for skill and safety aren’t important to you, or you don’t like to be held accountable for meeting certain standards.
- You’ve only been on a SUP board a few times and haven’t developed paddling skill.
L2 Certification Course
2022 Dates TBA
Questions? Email me!
Hire Anna to Train Your Staff
Anna is an Instructor Trainer Educator for the ACA and has 25 years paddling experience. Learn more about Anna’s experience. She’s available to come to your program and lead an instructor certification course for your staff.
She’s lead trainings for the following organizations:
- Columbus Parks and Rec, OH
- Mecklenburg Parks and Rec, NC
- Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health, MA
- Camp Carolina, NC
- French Broad River Academy, NC
- Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
- Active Southern West Virginia, WV
- Arkansas Canoe Club, AR
- James Island County Parks, SC
Please contact her for more information about teaching for you.
Looking for SUP Yoga Teacher Trainings! I’ve got you covered. Please visit this link!